Tuesday, August 16, 2005

itchy itchy scratchy scratchy

remember that old campfire song?

itchy itchy scratchy scratchy
ooo, I got one down my backy


that's a little how I feel -
I just got back from camping in georgia

the sun was out but under all those big beautiful trees
I rarely felt the burn, but the chiggers and jiggers,
well they are another story - we became intimate friends

the weird thing is that they really didn't itch
until after I returned home, some freakish delayed reaction
and here I thought I'd gotten away relatively bite-free

all this scratching brought me to my aromatherapy bible
The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy
(Valerie Ann Worwood)

some great big oils to have on hand to soothe the skin:
* thyme * lavender * eucalyptus * chamomile

on chiggers and jiggers:
these are burrowing insects which attack mainly
through the feet. they lay their eggs in burrows
under the skin and also spread infection.


huh, makes me wish I'd read this before I went
traipsing through the woods and wilderness

lavender has been my number one girl
one neat drop on each bite makes them feel oh so good

for mosquitoe bites you'll need a little something more
measure out one cup of cider vinegar or the juice of 2 lemons
add 10 drops of lavender and 5 drops of thyme
pour this into a bath of water and soak
then after apply lavender to each bite

so how to prevent them in the first place?
the easiest way is to combine 2 tablespoons of base oil
(peanut, almond, etc - found in most health food stores)
with 30 drops of lavender oil

slather all of your exposed skin with this magic potion
after you shower, before a hike, before you go to bed

you can never have enough!